What is a Skate Garden?
Picture a 3 acre garden beautifully designed and landscaped with the assistance of landscape architects and master gardeners. The park will use as much green construction and drainage as topography and soil structure will allow.
The plan for the Milford Skate park is to construct a facility that offers a sense of place where residents of all ages can enjoy the surrounding natural environment. It will exhibit a beautiful garden atmosphere that allows skateboarders, in-line skaters and BMX bikers to legally practice and develop their skills. It will provide appropriate amenities for spectators and families to picnic and enjoy the park-like setting while allowing active, outdoor recreational activity.
The first 4 years of the millage, a home with a taxable value of $100,000 would pay $25 per year equating to $2.08 per month. The remaining 16 years of the millage will decrease to $2.50 per year. The millage will pay for the construction, all maintenance, repair and cost of operation, including liability protection for at least 20 years.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
1. Why has it been decided to ask for a millage?
The Milford Township Parks and Recreation Commission has decided to ask for a millage to evaluate community support for a skate park. It’s time for the residents/voters to make the decision.
2. Hasn’t the lack of funding from private donations demonstrated support does not exist?
Private donations work well when you have a small amount of large-scale donors. A large number of smaller donations are logistically difficult and can be costly to identify donors and collect those donations. The skate park group has raised over $100,000 mostly through small donations, fundraisers, Texas hold-em tournaments, spaghetti dinners, and other events.
3. Why should all of us be taxed for something less than 5% would utilize?
- Skateboarding, inline skating and BMX biking serve diverse age groups.
- The garden aspect of the park will appeal to non-skaters and families who want an appealing area to picnic or participate in other recreational activities.
- A skatepark can attract skateboarding tourists, and can also be an attraction for family vacations.
- A free and independent skate park area provides a safe, responsible, and mutually acceptable location for participants to practice their sport.
Check out the fact flyer below: